From Lisa, 2-23-08: I got confirmation that we're getting funding for Yuri's Night!! We've only been offered $500 and they haven't told me how many tickets that we're getting. I just sent the proposal guy an email regarding the latter, but I assume that we'll get enough to bring 4 orbs.
Here's the proposal: File:Yuris night proposal.pdf
Preliminary Crew Schedule
Transport and Set-up
- Lisa and Erik plus 2 orbs
- 'dillo plus 2-3 orbs
- meet at Box Shop at 7:30 AM to load 5 orbs and head to NASA AMES
- arrive at YNBA ~8:30 (or however long it takes to get down there), take safety 'class', set-up orbs, and tinker with them
Event starts at 2 PM
Shift #1 - 2 PM to 6 PM
Shift #2 - 6 PM to 10 PM
- Rick & Dawn (may arrive earlier and stay a bit later)
Shift #3 - 10 PM to 2 AM
Event ends at 2 AM
Strike and transport
- Marnia (can do)
Current Orb Status
We're getting close! All of the illuminators are installed and the speakers are in place (including the re-silicone-ing of a few speakers), and all are working. When I was testing them with the remote control, I noticed that the volume levels are pretty different amongst them all (one too quiet, one way too loud), but I don't know if that is a desired effect or something that needs to get standardized. Below is my 'highly technical' assessment of the orbs:
- Orb 0 - Steering and speed are good. All illuminators and speakers working. The steering motor slightly tilts to one side when the light switch on the remote control is toggled
- Orb 1 - Toggling of light switch makes steering twitch; otherwise, the orb is working fine.
- Orb 2 - The speed seems to be faster in the direction of the SPU. There's a slight twitch when the lights are toggled.
- Orb 3 - This orb's drive motor moved slowly without triggering when the joystick was cued into it the first time that I tried it out, but then it hasn't replicated that since. Everything else seems fine.
- Orb 4 - The steering motor was extremely jerky, but Michael appeased it with a slight adjustment. The light switch makes the steering twitch.
- Orb 5 - A-OK!
One orb (I forget which #) needs the SPU cover put back on.